I recently discovered these clever lip balm holders created by Renee O. over on Splitcoast. Renee graciously gave me permission to post my version of her lip balm holders here on my blog. Please take a moment to visit her gallery by clicking on her name here in this post. She has a bunch of truly fabulous and clever 3-D projects, as well as card ideas!
My holders are a bit smaller than Renee’s. I revised the dimensions so that you can cut five base pieces out of one 8-½” x 11” sheet of cardstock. To create the holders, you will need the following:
1 – 5-¾” x 2-¾” base piece of Basic Black cardstock scored at 2-½” and 3-¼”
1 – 5-¾” x 2-¾” base piece of Pretty in Pink cardstock scored at 2-½” and 3-¼”
1 – 2” x 2” piece of Whisper White cardstock
1 – 2-1/8” x 2-1/8” piece of Basic Black cardstock
13” piece of Black Gingham Ribbon
To make the strap that holds the ChapStick in place, do the following:
1. Place the scored piece of Basic Black cardstock on Stampin’ Up!’s Grid Paper down in the bottom left corner as shown.
2. Find the center of the cardstock running lengthwise (top to bottom). The center of this piece is 1-3/8”. With a pencil, draw a 1-¼” line starting from the top score line (it will go past the bottom score line by one half inch.)
3. Once you have your center line marked, move your ruler over ¼” to the left of the center line. Draw a 1-¼” line starting from the top score line.
4. Now move your ruler over ¼” to the right of the center line. Draw a 1-¼” line starting from the top score line.
5. Erase the middle line and use your paper trimmer to cut the two slits by following the two remaining lines.
To decorate the outside of the scored Pretty in Pink base, wheel the Petals Jumbo Wheel in Pretty in Pink ink. Stamp two flowers from the Polka Dots & Paisley set in Pretty in Pink ink on the 2”x2” piece of Whisper White cardstock. Stamp the outline of the flower head in Basic Black ink over the top of the two flowers. Stamp the words “happy” and “summer” in Basic Black ink. Attach flower piece to Basic Black panel. Now you can attach the Pretty in Pink base to the Basic Black base by using a strong adhesive (Sticky Strip Tape works great). Insert the ChapStick in the strap. Close the holder by wrapping the Black Gingham Ribbon around the outside of the holder and tie in a bow. Lastly, attach the happy summer panel to the front of the holder.
I gave these as gifts to my stamp camp attendees last weekend and they were a huge hit! I found the Breast Cancer Awareness ChapStick at Walmart. They came in a package of three and were around $3.00 for one package.